Skip to Main Content
Questions regarding your account, circulation policies, fines, and renewing materials.
Reference & Information
Guide Created by Brittany Harris
About this Guide
Welcome to the GCC Black History Month Guide! It is divided into several main parts, which can be found through the left:
- Getting Started -- This tab is meant to help you identify starting points for research into your topic. This includes background information resources along with sources and hints to help you begin.
- Find Books -- This tab will provide information on finding topical books available either at the GCC Library, online, or through another MCCCD library.
- Find Articles -- This tab will provide information to help you find online articles, journals, magazines, and newspapers on your topic.
- Find Video -- This tab will provide information to help you find you find either DVDs or streaming video sources on your topic.
- Web Resources -- Additional online resources available on your topic.
Image by Oberholster Venita
A Brief History
Black History Month/Negro History Week (est. 1926)
A Credo Reference article from Freedom facts and firsts: 400 years of the African American civil rights experience by Bracks, L. L., & Bracks, L. L. (2009) exploring the origin of Black History Month.